Tuesday 31 January 2012

Faux Metal Top Note Butterfly Thanks Card

Faux Metal is a technique I haven't done in years.  When I first did it I'd build up several layers of embossing and then press a stamp into the molten powder.  I recently saw Diana's Faux Metal Tin Ceiling video tutorial on YouTube and it made me keen to have another go at the faux metal technique using an embossing folder.   It's a lot less fraught - embossing a cooled piece with a folder as opposed to putting a stamp into molten powder LOL!   While I really liked the tile effect that Diana produced I decided to use a Top Note die cut shape as my faux metal piece.

I die cut the Top Note from Sahara Sand CS, covered it with VersaMark ink and embossed with silver embossing powder - and I did that twice.  After the piece had cooled I ran it through my Big Shot with the Vintage Wallpaper embossing folder and I got this wonderful looking faux metal shape as a result - fab!

I didn't want to cover it up too much so I went with a die cut butterfly and a sentiment on a Night of Navy side opening A6 landscape card.  I chose the gorgeous patterned paper for the butterfly first and that led to me using navy and vanilla as my colour combo.  I scored lines on both sides of the butterfly body so I could put 3d foam pads under the wings to pop them up.  I used some Night of Navy ribbon as antennae and added  2 silver glimmer brads.  I used a Memory Box label die for the sentiment but cut off the outermost end parts and added rhinestones.  I sponged Night of Navy ink around the butterfly and the label before attaching them to the card.

Here's the inside and the envelope where you can see I used more of that gorgeous paper!  I really enjoyed making this, it was fun to revisit an old technique but use new tools with it.  Embossing folders hadn't been invented when I last did the technique - how on earth did we manage without them?!


Supplies:
Stamps: SU! Thank You Kindly set
CS: SU! Night of Navy, Sahara Sand & Very Vanilla
Patterned paper: Prima 'Spring Tide' from the Madeline Collection
Ink: SU! Night of Navy, VersaMark
Tools: SU! Top Note & Beautiful Butterflies Bigz dies, SU! Vintage Wallpaper embossing folder, Memory Box Bistro Label die
Embellishments & accessories: silver embossing powder, SU! Night of Navy grosgrain ribbon, SU! glimmer brads, SU! Basic Rhinestones, silver nailheads, 3d foam pads



Photobucket

2 comments:

Migdalia said...

A Beautiful, Glamous, & lovely card!!
http://craftingwithcreativem.blogspot.com

Margaret said...

Your card is beautiful and that is such a wonderful effect! I've seen this done with the stamps while the embossing is still hot, but as accident prone as I can be, I've never tried it! Molten ep, YIKES! This technique seems a lot safer and more user friendly too! TFS!!

01 09 10