Friday 24 October 2014

Pine Trees Winter Scene One Layer Card - 52 {C}CT Oct Recipe Challenge

Some new SU! goodies were delivered to me a few days ago and amongst them was a pack of Whisper White note cards and envelopes.  I find SU! Whisper White CS a bit flimsy to use for card bases but the note cards are made from thicker Whisper White CS which is fab!  The note cards measure 5" x 3 1/2" so are able to go through the mail and I think they'd be wonderful to use for gift sets.  

I recently stood down from the 52 {C}CT design team but I decided to join in as a player for the current recipe challenge to make a one layer card.  I so rarely make a one layer card as they have to be perfect - there's nowhere to hide any boo boos!  However, I'm really enjoying creating inky scenes and I think they look great on a one layer card so I gave it a go. 


Yeah, not really a great choice - an 'inky' scene, my first attempt had to be abandoned due to unsightly ink smudges but attempt number two was successful!  I die cut a rectangle from a panel of CS and used that as a reverse mask.  I applied Tumbled Glass Distress Ink using an ink duster brush to the rectangle first, temporarily adhered a 1" punched circle as a moon mask, dusted more Tumbled Glass ink and followed with Faded Jeans and Dusty Concord inks.  I removed the moon mask and dusted more ink over the moon to give a cloudy look.  I used Post-It notes to mask the outside of the rectangle and stamped the pine trees.  While the Post-It notes were still in place I applied some snowy droplets by dipping a paintbrush into a bottle of Perfect Pearls mist and flicking the paintbrush over the rectangle.  A stamped sentiment completed the card front.


I dusted more inks on the inside of the card and on the envelope front, stamped a sentiment and stamped more pine trees to finish.


Supplies:
Stamps: Inkylicious 'Northern Pine' set, SU! 'Four the Holidays' set, Hero Arts 'Holiday Cheer' clear set
CS: SU! Whisper White note card
Ink: Tim Holtz 'Tumbled Glass', 'Faded Jeans' & 'Dusty Concord' Distress Inks, Memento 'London Fog' & 'Tuxedo Black'
Tools: rectangle Nestabilities die, Inkylicious ink duster brushes, SU! 1" circle punch, Stamp-a-ma-jig
Embellishments & accessories: Perfect Pearls 'Perfect Pearl' mist, paintbrush, Post-It notes


 photo RoseRuth.gif


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful one layer card Ruth, both inside and out. So glad you joined us at 52CCT this week. Hugs, Gill xx

Toni said...

Really beautiful

Deborah Frings said...

Hi Ruth - so nice to see you playing along. This is absolutely beautiful - the shaded sky is fab and I do like the silhouette trees. As always the inside and envelope are fab. Thanks so much for playing along with 52CCT this week. xx

Patricia Hays said...

Ruth!!! :) I'm so glad you came back to play with us at 52{C}CT! :) Your card is amazing. You did a fabulous job blending the inks to create the nighttime scene.

Danielle Vincent said...

SQUEAL..I'm so glad to see that you joined us this week at 52CCT Ruth!! This is a stunner of a card. I just keep looking at it thinking "how did she do that so well?". Let me know if you'd like my mailing address so you can send it to me (hehehe). Thanks so much for playing along dear lady. Hugs D

Fabiola said...

superbe Ruth, une merveilleuse création, très poétique et magnifiquement réalisé, je suis très heureuse de te voir jouer avec nous a 52CCT, biz

Jacqueline said...

Stunning Ruth - so nice to see you back at 52CCT - Jacqueline xx

Louise van Vuren said...

Ruth! So pleased to see you joining in with our challenge and what an absolute stunner of a card. Love your inky sky and of course the signature matching inside and envelope. Beautiful!
Louise xx

01 09 10