Friday 13 March 2015

Crossword 80th Birthday Card

A friend from choir, Jane, asked me to make a crossword themed 80th birthday card for her Aunt Jean.  Straight away I knew I'd want to write certain words in the grid so I knew I had to find a grid that contained 4, 5, 8 and 9 letter spaces.  Just as well I love crosswords myself and have quite a few crossword books, it took me ages to track down a grid with all those letter spaces but I found one eventually!

I scanned the grid, printed it onto Whisper White card and trimmed it to size.  I stamped a flourish image a few times using Crumb Cake ink, inked the edges with the same ink and layered the grid onto a black mat.  I made a 5 3/4" square Crumb Cake card base, stamped the flourish along the right hand side and embossed the images with white embossing powder.  I wrote in the words with a permanent marker and arranged a cluster of stamped and punched flowers and die cut leaves.  To complete the front I added some black striped organza ribbon.


Here's the inside and the envelope.  I haven't used that gorgeous flourish from the SU! 'Baroque Motifs' set for ages and it was lovely to ink it up again!


Jane was really, really happy with the card, she insisted on giving me more money than I'd asked for and she also gave me a bunch of pink tulips, what a sweetheart!  I certainly got warm fuzzies from that reaction to the card I'd created, what a lovely feeling!

Supplies:
Stamps: SU! 'Baroque Motifs', 'Flower Shop' & 'Petite Petals' sets, Penny Black 'Lovely Day'
CS: SU! Crumb Cake, Primrose Petals, Basic Black & Whisper White
Ink: VersaFine Onyx Black, VersaMark, SU! Crumb Cake & Strawberry Slush, black permanent ink marker
Tools: SU! 'Pansy' & 'Petite Petals' punches, Poppystamps 'Lorelai Leaf' & 'Lorelai Leaf Outline' dies, heat tool, sponge daubers
Embellishments & accessories: white embossing powder, black striped organza ribbon, SU! Dimensionals


 photo RoseRuth.gif


No comments:

01 09 10