Saturday 27 September 2014

Suspended Snowflake Spinner Card - 52 CCT Sept Stash Challenge

The lovely Asha, our September challenge hostess, has a fabulous stash challenge for us this week at 52 {C}CT - Diamonds & Pearls.  Well, I had a blast making my card for this challenge!  My 'diamonds' are SU! Dazzling Diamonds glimmer paper and rhinestone jewels and for the pearls I used pearl jewels plus white with a hint of silver pearl CS. 

 

First off I made a 5 3/4" square Night of Navy card base and  I die cut the circle burst from a square of gorgeous Dazzling Diamonds glimmer paper.  The Memory Box 'Large Circle Burst' die has been on my want list for a long while and I gave into the temptation very recently!  I was delighted to find that one of my favourite SU! 'Festive Flurry' snowflake stamps was the perfect size for the circle aperture and I stamped the snowflake onto the pearl CS in Night of Navy ink.  I knew the ink wouldn't dry on the coated pearl CS so I heat embossed the image with clear powder.  Then I had a light bulb moment - it occurred to me I could use the holes of the die to suspend the snowflake within the aperture.  I cut the circle burst from the front of the navy card base and glued the Dazzling Diamonds panel over the top.  I stamped and heat embossed another snowflake, die cut the two shapes, threaded silver thread through two holes, tied a knot and glued the two snowflakes back to back on either side of the thread.  Not only is the snowflake suspended within the aperture but if you twist the thread a few times before placing the card in an envelope the snowflake will spin when the recipient opens the card!  I haven't made a spinner card in a while so it was fun playing with that for a few moments - I really should get out more LOL!

Here's the card when it's closed ready to slip inside the envelope.  I added pearl and rhinestone jewels on the outer circle of holes, placed Night of Navy die cut corners and added punched pearly snowflakes.  One thing about this circle burst die is you get lots of dots left over from die cutting so I placed a larger sparkly dot on each snowflake centre followed by a teeny tiny rhinestone.  


Here's the card open showing the suspended snowflake.

 
Here's the card fully open.  Talk about precision placement - I had to get the Night of Navy and white circles in exactly the right position because I wanted the white circle to show behind the snowflake - but with the sentiment hidden - and the navy showing behind the two rows of dots.  Easily done thanks to Collall photo glue (AKA snotty glue!) which gives you time to wiggle your pieces into place before the glue dries! 


Stamped snowflakes and a die cut name label on the front of the envelope completed the card.


Do please join us this week, have fun making a card and link it up at our 52 {C}CT Diamonds & Pearls stash challenge - it will be great to add another Christmas card to your stash!

Supplies:
Stamps: SU! 'Festive Flurry' set, Stampendous 'Small Merry Christmas', PSX 'Snowflake Medley', IndigoBlu 'Snowflake Lace'
CS: SU! Night of Navy & Whisper White, Dazzling Diamonds Glimmer Paper, white with a hint of silver Centura Pearl CS
Ink: SU! Night of Navy
Tools: Memory Box 'Large Circle Burst' die, SU! 'Festive Flurry' Framelits die set, MFT 'Photo Corners' Die-Namics die set,  X Cut snowflake punch, circle Nestabilities dies, label dies from Sizzix 'Card, Fancy Frame Flip-Its #2' Framelits die set, heat tool
Embellishments & accessories: clear embossing powder, SU! rhinestone & pearl jewels, PaperMania teeny tiny gems 




 photo RoseRuth.gif
 

10 comments:

Deborah Frings said...

Stunning! I love all the sparkle and shimmer. I think the little suspended snowflake is fab. Wonderful envelope too!

Peanut said...

What a stroke of genius! A spinner card ... now that is an awesome project, Ruth. The dark blue bg really brings out the sparkle and shine. The pearls add a touch of class and elegance. This card is on the nose and I LOVE it! Have a lovely weekend, my friend!
hugs, Asha

Jacqueline said...

I love this - it's so sparkly! Silver a blue make such a stunning combination - Jacqueline xx

Fabiola said...

Oh la la Ruth, elle brille et elle est festive, une très belle création tout en élégance, biz

Margaret said...

Don't know how you always manage to come up with such stunning cards
This is a beauty and I love the envelope too.
hugs
Margaret M

Rocky said...

Love the spinner snowflake. The card is gorgeous and the envelope is stunning, great job.

Pegcraftalot.blogspot.com said...

Oh my! So clever and I'm sure in real life it's even better than on here x

Patricia Hays said...

WOW. This is simply spectacular, Ruth! You totally rocked the challenge, and the spinner is a fun added bonus!

Danielle Vincent said...

Oh my word Ruth....talk about gorgeous! That is a stunning color combo and design. Genuis my friend! You just keep getting better and better - I'm constantly in awe! Hugs D

Lily-by-Gilly said...

There's only one word for this Ruth - stunning! Hugs, Gill xx

01 09 10