Friday 29 July 2011

Three Scandinavian Season Cards

The SU! Scandinavian Season set never really did anything for me so I didn't buy it.  I saw a lovely card Jan made with it and that made me think I'd quite like a play with the set so Jan kindly lent me the stamps.  First off I made a Christmas card with the tree image and used a non traditional colour combo of pink and aqua with white.  The flower on the tree is popped up and I added an aqua gem.


I then stamped a sentiment and snowflakes inside the card.  For the envelope flap I stamped the star image twice, once in pink and again in aqua and I cut the pink flower out and glued it on top of the aqua star.


I used that odd looking image in the set for my next card.  To be honest I wasn't sure what it was so I looked at the Splitcoast Stampers gallery for this set and discovered it was a mitten!  I decided to make a pair of mittens and dangle them in an aperture.  There's only one mitten image in the set and I wanted a pair.  To get both right and left hand mittens I had to stamp a mirror image.  I have some plain shadow stamps in my stash that I've had for years and they work brilliantly for mirror image stamping.  I inked the mitten with VersaMark ink, stamped it on the shadow stamp and then stamped that onto the Cherry Cobbler CS.  First I tried using Cherry Cobbler ink but there was a marked difference in the ink colours after stamping that I wasn't happy with, even though I tried stamping off.  I found it better to use VersaMark ink and then emboss with white embossing powder.

So once I had my pair of mittens I added a string using SU! Linen thread.  I made a three panel card by cutting an A4 piece of Cherry Cobbler CS to the normal height of an A6 size portrait card and then cut it to 27 cms wide and scored lines at 9 and 18 cms.  I cut a rectangular aperture out of the middle panel, added a Crumb Cake embossed panel so that would show through and added a white embossed frame around the aperture.  I dangled the mittens behind and then folded the outside panel back and attached it with 3d foam pads so there is room for the mittens to dangle within the aperture.  I added the sentiment and the snowflake circle and popped on some red gems.


I put a snowflake circle on the envelope flap.  For inside the card I added a white panel  with embossing on the bottom and a Crumb Cake strip.  I haven't added a sentiment as I'm not sure what I'll use the card for.  It could be Christmas, a winter birthday, a post Christmas thank you or a winter 'just because'  card so I'll add an appropriate sentiment or leave it blank when the time comes to send it.


For the last card I used the star image to make a non seasonal card.  I saw some striking packaging a few days ago that paired colours really close to Elegant Eggplant and Baja Breeze so I used those with white for my colour combo.  I stamped the sentiment first - you know, just in case I fluffed it, there's nothing worse than stamping the sentiment last on an assembled card and mucking it up!  Anyway, this time it turned out fine!  I then used Nestie dies for the image panel.  I stamped the flower on Baja Breeze CS separately, cut it out and glued it over the top of the star.  I added a lovely bluey, purpley iridescent gem in the centre.  The Eggplant square is popped up.  To finish off I added Eggplant ribbon to the card and stamped the star on the envelope flap.  Unusually for me, I've left the inside plain! 


I'm glad I had a play with the set but I have to say I'm still not sold on it, I won't be scouring eBay for it!

Supplies for Merry Christmas card:
Stamps: SU! Scandinavian Season set, Merry Christmas from SU! Season of Joy set, inside sentiment from Penny Black
CS: PaperMania white A6 card blank, SU! Melon Mambo CS, Core'dinations Broken China CS
Ink: SU! Melon Mambo, Tim Holtz Broken China Distress Ink
Tools: Rectangle Nestabilities dies, SU! Eyelet Border punch, Stamp-A-Ma-Jig
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Melon Mambo dotted grosgrain ribbon, aqua gem, 3d foam pads




Supplies for dangly mittens card:
Stamps: SU! Scandinavian Season set, Warm Wishes from Personal Impressions Christmas Messages clear set

CS:  SU! Cherry Cobbler, Crumb Cake & Whisper White
 Ink: SU! Cherry Cobbler, VersaMark
Tools: Rectangle Nestabilities dies, SU! Word Window, Modern Label &  1 1/2" circle punches, Snowflakes Cuttlebug embossing folder, metric Scor-Pal
Embellishments & accessories: white embossing powder, SU! linen thread, 3d foam tape


Supplies for Congratulations card:
Stamps: SU! Scandinavian Season & Curly Cute sets
CS: PaperMania white square card blank, SU! Elegant Eggplant & Baja Breeze CS
Ink: SU! Eegant Eggplant
Tools: Square & Lacy Square Nestabilities dies
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Elegant Eggplant grosgrain ribbon, gem, 3d foam tape



Photobucket

1 comment:

Hobby Musician Keyboard said...

Dear Ruth,

the Christmas Cards are pretty!

Hugs from Marina

01 09 10