Saturday 12 April 2014

Scrappy Snowflakes Merry Christmas Card - 52 {C}CT Apr Colour Challenge

Deborah has a fab colour challenge for us this week at 52 {C}CT.  For guidance she has given the SU! colours Smoky Slate, Crumb Cake, River Rock, Night of Navy, Marina Mist and Bashful Blue as a point of reference.  I chose to use Midnight Muse in place of the Night of Navy for the dark blue colour in the graphic.

 
I was in the Glitter Pot, my local craft shop, looking at their huge collection of patterned papers and a sheet of paper from the Bo Bunny Woodland Winter range caught my eye and I realised it would be a perfect choice for this challenge.  The sheet of paper was made up of lots of different images and elements which I've cut out so this card is more "scrappy" than my usual style of cards.  The paper is so lovely I wanted to use as much of it as I could and I really enjoyed putting this card together!  

The large scalloped circle element is quite large so after fussy cutting it and gluing it to a Midnight Muse panel I added the panel to a Marina Mist 6" square card base.  An A4 piece of CS is not large enough to make a 6" wide card so I added an extra piece of CS to the back.  I die cut two large snowflakes, one from Smoky Slate CS and the other from Midnight Muse CS and I offset them to get a shadow effect.  I attached the stamped and cut snowflake layers together with a brad and popped that up in the centre of the large die cut snowflake.  I fussy cut the label and the flag banner element, stamped the sentiment, glued the banner piece and popped up the label.  I completed the front with some punched snowflakes and a sprinkling of rhinestones. 


I loved the owl and the deer images on the paper and took quite a while deciding which one would go on the inside of the card - finally opting for the owl!  I added a stamped sentiment and a punched snowflake.  I cut out a snowflake from the sheet of paper to go on the envelope flap.  


I so wanted to use the deer image as well so that went onto the front of the envelope, together with a strip of snowflake circles cut from the sheet and I also added more punched snowflakes.  Without doubt, this is the most patterned paper I've ever used on just one card - I used practically the whole sheet!  Obviously, I could have chosen to make more than one card with the sheet of paper but actually I'm glad I went all out for just the one card, I'm quite happy with the end result!  Not very happy with the blue blob I got on the corner of the completed envelope whilst spritzing my stamps to clean them - but hey ho, "it all adds to the hand made charm" is what I'm going with LOL!


I hope you'll join in with our challenge this week at 52 {C}CT and make a Christmas card using these lovely colours.  I look forward to visiting your blogs to see your creations!

Supplies:
Stamps: SU! 'Festive Flurry' &'Best Yet' sets, Hero Arts 'Joyful Christmas Season' set
CS: SU! Marina Mist, Midnight Muse, Smoky Slate & Whisper White

Patterned paper: Bo Bunny Woodland Winter 'Peek-A-Boo'
Ink: SU! Midnight Muse & Smoky Slate
Tools: SU! 'Snow Flurry' Bigz die, SU! 'Festive Flurry' Framelits die set, various snowflake punches, circle punches, Stamp-a-ma-jig
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Marina Mist Candy Dot & Brad Base, rhinestone jewels, Dimensionals



 photo RoseRuth.gif

7 comments:

Peanut said...

Oh my! So much going on here... and I love it! Superb mix of papers and shapes Ruth. I'm getting a hint of vintage and a dash of shabby and a whole lot of pretty! Have a great weekend!
hugs, Asha

Louise van Vuren said...

This is a paper cutting work of art, Ruth. That is one gorgeous paper you found and what a way to use it!

Louise xx

Deborah Frings said...

Ruth - you have knocked it out the park!!! Your card and envelope are both stunning - works of art! I have to say I adore the sweet owl on the inside. Really beautiful work!

Rocky said...

Wow, it's great. You're so brave cutting up a new sheet of paper rather than just gazing at it! Beautiful inside and out.

Mynn xx said...

OH my goodness, this is amazing! LOVE the collage like front--kind of different from the usual and I LOVE it! And that paper really is fabulous! What a great find! HUGS and have a great rest of your weekend! :) Mynn xx

Fabiola said...

wow, très belle création, quelle merveille pour les yeux, j'adore, biz

Danielle Vincent said...

Wow Ruth - this is awesome! I see that it is a bit more "scrappy" than your usual style but it is just terrific. You layered all the elements and patterns like a pro! LOVE this! Hugs D

01 09 10