Thursday 8 June 2017

June 2017 Card Group Projects

A week later than planned - it's been a busy and stressful week! - here are the three cards we made at our June card group meeting.  Making these cards gave me the opportunity to use all five of the new SU! 2017 - 2019 In Colors.  This selection is my favourite In Color collection so far, I've found some previous colours a bit too challenging for me!

For the first card I used Berry Burst ink to create a watercolour wash background.  I cut a square of watercolour paper, applied water to it with a paintbrush, patted the Berry Burst ink pad onto a ceramic tile, picked up the colour from the tile with a wet paintbrush and washed the colour over the watercolour paper square.  Once the square was dry I inked the edges with Berry Burst ink applied with a sponge dauber.  I made a 5 1/4" square card using Whisper White thick CS and added mat layers of Lemon Lime Twist and Island Indigo.  I adhered the Poppystamps 'Happy Birthday Floral Frame' die cut and sprinkled on a few rhinestone jewels to finish.


Here is the inside of the card and the envelope.  When I first saw the In Colors on line I wasn't sure I was going to like Lemon Lime Twist but as soon as I saw it 'in the flesh' I loved it, a really happy colour!  I added a strip of the 'Fresh Florals' Lemon Lime Twist DSP, stamped the sentiment in Berry Burst ink and added a simple punched flower to the envelope flap.


For card two I used a colour combo I found on Helen Read's All Things Stampy blog.  Helen has created the most fabulous collection of 50 SU! In Color colour combos which can be viewed on this blog post.  Wow, what an impressive resource, well done and huge thanks to Helen!  I chose the combo of Lemon Lime Twist, Island Indigo, Fresh Fig and Flirty Flamingo - plus I sneaked in a bit of Powder Pink too!

I made an A6 sized Fresh Fig card blank and added a strip of Whisper White CS that I'd stamped using my MFT 'Burlap' background stamp in Powder Pink ink.  I only bought this stamp recently and maybe I should have held off until the new SU! annual catalogue came out 'cos SU! now sell a burlap background stamp!  It is different though, the SU! stamp has the frayed edges as part of the design, so I won't feel at all bad about having two burlap background stamps in my stash!  I absolutely love how Lemon Lime Twist looks with Island Indigo and I'd used that combo for my mat layers on card one.  So the squares for this card were cut out from the mat layers of card one - nifty and frugal eh?!  I stamped two daisies in Flirty Flamingo ink, punched them out, offset them, added a Fresh Fig stamped and punched daisy centre and popped up the flower.  I punched some small Lemon Lime daisies, put small Island Indigo dots in the centres, shaped them and glued the cluster of three daisies in place.   


Here's the inside and the envelope.  A Fresh Fig stamped sentiment, a bit of Powder Pink stamped burlap and a line drawn with an Island Indigo marker decorates the inside.  A larger Lemon Lime and Island Indigo punched daisy adorns the envelope flap.


I need to have more crafty time to experiment with Tranquil Tide colour combos - and to visit Helen's colour combos for inspiration!  Tranquil Tide is the one I'm finding a tad tricky, I love it in monochrome or paired with Pool Party (or the recently retired Mint Macaron).  When I put Tranquil Tide against So Saffron though I was instantly smitten - I seem to have developed a love for So Saffron recently!  I rotated the layout I'd used for card two to a portrait orientation and used a rectangle focal image instead of a square one.  I adore the soft look you get with the images from the SU! 'Blooms and Wishes' stamp set when you use the stamping off - or second generation stamping - technique, you achieve a lovely water coloured effect.  I stamped three blooms and centres on the rectangular panel, stamped an extra one on a scrap piece of CS, fussy cut that one out and popped it up.  A simple design but a pretty result I like to think!


Here's a closer look at the pretty blooms.


Here's the inside and the envelope.


What a lovely, happy, relaxed afternoon it was - a perfect way to spend a day off from work!

Supplies for card one:
Stamps: Inkylicious 'Wonderful Day'
CS: SU! Lemon Lime Twist, Island Indigo, Whisper White thick, watercolour paper 

Patterned paper: SU! 'Fresh Florals' DSP stack
Ink: SU! Berry Burst
Tools: Poppystamps 'Happy Birthday Floral Frame' die, paintbrush, ceramic tile, sponge dauber
Embellishments & accessories: SU! rhinestone jewels


Supplies for card two:
Stamps: SU! 'Daisy Delight' & ''Butterfly Basics' sets, MFT 'Burlap' stamp
CS: SU! Fresh Fig, Lemon Lime Twist, Island Indigo & Whisper White
Ink: SU! Flirty Flamingo, Powder Pink, Island Indigo & Fresh Fig
Tools: SU! 'Layering Squares' Framelits die set, various size circle punches, Woodware daisy punches

Embellishments & accessories: SU! Dimensionals

Supplies for card three:
Stamps: SU! 'Blooms & Wishes' set
CS: SU! So Saffron, Tranquil Tide & Whisper White

Patterned paper: SU! 'Fresh Florals' DSP stack
Ink: SU! So Saffron & Tranquil Tide
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Dimensionals


Ruth


1 comment:

Helen said...

Gorgeous projects, Ruth! So glad you're finding good use for my combos, too. Try Tranquil Tide with Pool Party - it's amazing, turns the Pool Party green!

01 09 10