Monday 31 March 2014

Dimensional Bloom Happy Birthday Card - HOC March Photo Inspiration Challenge

Because there is a 5th Monday in March we have a 5th week photo inspiration challenge for you at HOC.  This challenge will run for one week only, you can use any card making style but you must use the photo as inspiration for your card design.  Photo inspiration challenges are great fun, it's amazing to see the different interpretations from everyone!

Pretty, country, chic. Love it.

I used the very pale green, the darker green, the blue and white colours from the photo, plus I really liked the plates on the wall so I included circles in my design as a nod to the plates.  While searching in my stash for some textured CS for another project I came across the pale green CS which I'd forgotten I had.  It's gorgeous, it looks like watered silk!  Perfect for this challenge so I immediately pulled it out and set it aside. 

To start I made a 5 3/4" square card base with the pale green CS.  I nested two bloom dies on Lucky Limeade CS and ran them through my Big Shot using the Tim Holtz Dimensional Cutting Pad so that the centres of the blooms didn't cut out and remained attached to the CS.  I then used a circle die to cut out my Limeade piece and I cut a same size circle of Marina Mist dotty patterned paper which I glued behind the Limeade circle.  When the bloom is made dimensional by folding the sides up you can see the dotty paper peeking through from behind.  Using a sponge dauber I added Limeade ink to the dimensional bloom piece to add a little bit of definition, I layered onto a blue textured CS circle, glued it to the card front and popped up the sentiment banner.  I then shaped two die cut blooms, fixed them together with a Limeade brad and attached them to a pale green circle.  When I folded up the sides of the dimensional bloom I got some creases in the CS which, being a perfectionist, I didn't like the look of!  I punched two small blue flowers and glued them on to cover the creases - aah, much better!  Having placed the small flowers at North and South I then decided I'd add two more so I have flowers at West and East too - obviously my perfectionist side wanted the symmetry! A sprinkling of rhinestones and the card front was complete.


Here's a side view photo giving a closer look at the dimensional bloom.


Now onto the inside and the envelope.  Oh look, a new frame stamp features on the inside of my card!   It's a bit flourishy/damasky, it's classic, it's elegant, it's ideal for sentiments on the insides of cards - it was half price - so of course it had to go in my basket!  I stamped the sentiment, cut out the frame, layered it onto a Limeade mat and added punched flowers.  The final touch was a cheerful dotty bloom on the envelope flap.   


Please do join us at HOC this week and make a card inspired by that lovely photo. There is a ton of inspiration on offer from the rest of the DT so do check out their creations.  CAS, Cute and Fun, Classic and Elegant, Shabby and Vintage - the choice is yours, any of those styles goes!  I'm looking forward to seeing your interpretations!

Supplies:
Stamps: SU! 'Itty Bitty Banners' set, PaperMania 'Urban Stamps 'Oval Frame' set, Hero Arts 'Fabulous Birthday'
CS: pale green textured pearly CS, Bazzill blue textured CS, SU! Lucky Limeade & Whisper White

Patterned paper: Marina Mist dotty paper from SU! Polka Dot Parade DSP pack
Ink: SU! Lucky Limeade & Marina Mist
Tools:  X Cut 'Bloom' Nesting Dies, Sizzix Tim Holtz Dimensional Cutting Pad, Woodware flower punch, sponge dauber
Embellishments & accessories: SU! rhinestone  jewels, Dimensionals




 photo RoseRuth.gif
 

3 comments:

Nancy Seed said...

Love how you added dimension to the flower. Great job Ruth.

Mynn xx said...

That pale green textured card is TO DIE FOR, Ruth! You've used the colors so perfectly and I adore all the beautiful dimension! This is stunning! :) HUGS and have a great rest of the week! Mynn xx

Darnell said...

What a unique and beautiful card you made, Ruth! Thank you for the inspiration! I hope I get a chance to play; I'm positively drooling over that breakfast nook photo!! Hugs, Darnell

01 09 10