Saturday 30 March 2013

Gable Box - 52{C}CT Mar Anything BUT A Card Challenge

We're all about having your Christmas cards ready early over at 52 {C}CT.  Along with cards wouldn't it be fab to have some non Christmas card projects ready too?  As there's a fifth Saturday in March we're having an Anything BUT a Card, ATC or Tag challenge this week at 52 {C}CT.  So you can create gift packaging, altered items, home decor - whatever takes your fancy so long as it's NOT a card, tag or ATC! 


I came across a gable box on Pinterest a while back that had been made with the SU! Scallop Envelope die.  You can see the original blog post here - Jenni has provided great instructions and photos.  I pinned it for future reference and have borrowed the die from Joanne so I could try making one.  Thanks to Jenni and Joanne!  Oh my goodness, it's so easy and it makes a good size box.

My last order from SU! contained the Natural Composition Specialty DSP.  It's thicker than DSP and is CS weight so I thought it would be perfect for making this box.  Another plus is that the sheets are already printed with lovely glossy designs!  I followed Jenni's instructions to make the box but used an oval punch for the handles rather than a circle and I also rounded the top corners.  Once the box was assembled I stamped and die cut the ornaments - the larger one is embossed with Early Espresso embossing powder and the two smaller ornaments were embossed with Jeweled Gold embossing powder.  I added gold thread bows and popped all three ornaments up.  I then stamped and die cut the tag and tied it to the box along with three jingle bells using gold thread.  I stamped the tag with a stamp from the Elements of Style set using gold pigment ink stamped off once first before stamping the sentiment in Early Espresso ink. I tied the handles together with Chocolate Chip satin ribbon to finish.


Here's a closer view of the tag.


Here's a side view of the gable box and you will see a little something peeking out.  Well, with the brown and gold combo I'd chosen I reckoned there was only one variety of choccy suitable to go inside - Ferrero Rocher!  The box comfortably holds 9.  The box is a good size and would be great for lots of other gifts aside from choccies or sweeties but I had some Ferrero Rochers on hand so in they went for the photo!  Obviously they will be long gone come Christmas, so I'll choose a different gift to pop inside or replace the chocs.  Another option is to give the box to hubby before Christmas and drop heavy hints about cocoa dusted almonds LOL!  


I hope you'll play along with this fun 52 {C}CT challenge, I'm so looking forward to seeing your projects! 

Supplies:
Stamps: SU! 'Ornament Keepsakes', 'Seasonal Wishes' & 'Elements of Style' sets
CS: SU! Very Vanilla

Patterned paper:  SU! Natural Composition Specialty DSP
Ink: VersaMark, SU! Early Espresso, Encore metallic gold pigment ink
Tools: SU! Scallop Envelope die, Holiday Ornaments Framelits dies, Apothecary Accents Framelits die, oval punch, corner rounder punch, Simply Scored
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Early Espresso embossing powder, Stampendous Jeweled Gold embossing powder, SU! Chocolate Chip satin ribbon, gold thread, jingle bells, SU! Dimensionals


 photo ChocsRuth.gif

4 comments:

Danielle Vincent said...

Such a great gift box Ruth. Thanks for the idea and the link to instructions. Gonna have to give it a try. Hugs D

Deborah Frings said...

Oh this is just fabulous! Love the rich elegance of the colours and design. The embossed pattern on the paper works perfectly with the lovely ornaments. And I agree that Ferrero Rocher are just perfect for this box - yum!

Mynn xx said...

Hi, Ruth! Hope you had a fabulous Easter! LOVE this gorgeous creation--the colors are so elegant and rich! Amazing work as always, friend! :)

Jacqueline said...

This is a lovely project Ruth - gorgeous colours too and I love that chocolate ribbon - Jacqueline xx

01 09 10