Wednesday 26 June 2013

Parasol Sunshine & Smiles Card - Inkspirational June Sketch Challenge # 26

Week 4 in the month means it's time for a sketch challenge at Inkspirational and this is the fab layout we have for you this time.

 

One of my favourite things to do is use dies to make shaped card bases and as soon as I saw this sketch I knew I'd have to make a shaped card!  I cut two Lucky Limeade shapes using the largest sized SU! Labels Framelits die, cut a Whisper White shape and glued it to one of the Limeade shapes so I have a white inside.  I cut a smidgen off the bottom of this piece, scored it at the top and glued that to the front piece to form the card base.  Cutting the smidgen off the back piece means the card stands up nicely for display even though it's shaped - fab!


I stamped the clouds, stamped the parasol handle and punched out a 1 3/4" circle.  I stamped the parasol, fussy cut it and attached it to the circle by gluing the sides down flat and placing a thick pop dot underneath the centre so it has some shape.  I stamped the sentiment, added a Limeade brad underneath along with two punched flowers with brad centres.  I popped up the Basic Gray circle over the larger yellow and pink punched circles.  To complete the card front I just couldn't resist blinging up the parasol!


I stamped a parasol inside with a sentiment over the top - which I really should have done before gluing the two card base pieces together - mental note duly made!


Cards made using the largest sized Labels Framelits die are too wide to fit inside a regular envelope which gave me the opportunity to make a snazzy matching envelope using patterned paper.  I cut  paper measuring 8 1/2" square and using the diagonal scoring plate scored two sides at 4 3/8" and two sides at 3 3/4".  I layered a fancy label onto an oval and added punched flowers with brad centres so I have somewhere to write the recipients name.


Here's the card and envelope together - very bright and cheery I think!


I hope you'll join in with our sketch challenge at Inkspirational this week, I'd love to visit your blogs to see your wonderful creations!  The other DT members will have made fab cards to inspire you so check them out before you go off to create!

Supplies:
Stamps: SU! 'Rain or Shine' set, Hero Arts 'Clouds' background stamp, Hero Arts 'Sending Smiles Messages' clear set
CS: SU! Lucky Limeade, Melon Mambo, Daffodil Delight, Basic Gray & Whisper White

Patterned paper:  SU! Sunshine & Sprinkles DSP
Ink: SU! Soft Sky, Melon Mambo, Daffodil Delight & Basic Gray
Tools: SU! Labels Collection Framelits die, Apothecary Accents Framelits die, SU! 1 3/4" & 2 1/2" plain circle punches, 2 3/8" scallop circle punch, Itty Bitty Flower punch, Woodware 2" circle punch, SU! Simply Scored & Diagonal Plate, paper piercer
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Everyday Enchantment Limeade brad, Daffodil Delight & Marina Mist brads, Rhinestone Jewels, Dimensionals, thick pop dot


 photo DragonflyRuth.gif

7 comments:

Mynn xx said...

This is super awesome, Ruth! LOVE the bright colors and I adore the scene you created with the umbrella! TOO CUTE! HUGS and have a great rest of the week! :)

Kylie said...

This is adorable. Great shape for this card and I love your umbrella xx

Unknown said...

Ruth this is adorable! I simply LOVE the parasol with the clouds behind it. The shaped card is fantastic! Have a great week my dear!

sandie said...

Ruth this is fab, love the shaped card and the envelope is really fun, someone's is going to love getting this x

Marina said...

One thing I've noticed about your creations is that you have a real talent for using bold and interesting colour combos - and this card is no exception. Love the umbrella and the brads. Marina

Pia S said...

I've been absent for the past two weeks as I've been away on holiday, and now I'm trying to do a bit of catching up. This colorful creation really caught my eye! It has such a great summery feel to it! And thanks for the inspiration regarding shaped cards and how to easier make them stand - it's a technique I definitely will use!

kelly said...

I'd love an umbrella with all that sparkle in real life!!!
Brill card - again!!
Kelly xx

01 09 10