Monday 24 January 2011

Birthday Twisted Easel Card

Monica Gale made a fabulous twisted easel card (see it here on her blog) and I couldn't wait to make one myself.  I started off by cutting an A4 sheet of Close to Cocoa CS in half lengthways, I scored in the middle on the long side and then I scored a diagonal line.  I see Monica has now made a video tutorial for how to make a twisted easel card (see it here) but I made my card before watching her video.  Monica says you need to make sure the front panel is square - but mine isn't and it still worked.  I think maybe it depends on the shape of the image you're going to have on the front  as to whether to make that panel square or not.  I'll try making one with a square panel to test this theory!

For my front panel I used the Sizzix Baroque die, I love how I could line points from the side of the die cut shape with the diagonal fold of the card!  Also, this die is perfectly sized for US 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" size card fronts so it looks better here than on a standard C6 size card front.  I inked the sentiment with Rose Red and Chocolate Chip markers, cut it out with an oval Nestie die and then trimmed it to fit on the patterned paper oval.  I sponged Pretty in Pink and Close to Cocoa inks around the sentiment before gluing it down. 

My stop for the easel was made using a pop up butterfly punch and I used the matching punch for the butterfly on the image oval.  I added branches made using the Two Step Bird punch and 3 small flowers from the Boho Blossoms punch.  I edged the flowers and butterfly with Cocoa ink and then I added pink gems.


I decided the best place to write a message would be the bottom of the card so I added a pink panel, stamped the flowers in Cocoa ink after stamping off and finished off with an oval sentiment element.  It's difficult to see in the photo but the sentiment says "may your day be filled with flowers" - awww, lovely!  (By the way, you can always click any photo to get a larger view).  I stamped the same silhouette flowers on the front of the envelope in Rose Red ink after stamping off once first.


Supplies:
Stamps:  Hero Arts Friends are Treasures sentiment cling set, Hero Arts Silhouette Corner, Personal Impressions Filled with Flowers clear set
CS: SU! Close to Cocoa, Rose Red, Pretty in Pink & Whisper White
Patterned paper: SU! Rose Red Prints Designer Series Paper pack
Ink: SU! Pretty in Pink, Rose Red, Close to Cocoa & Chocolate Chip
Tools: Sizzix Baroque die, oval & rectangle Nestability dies, Tonic Butterfly and Pop Up Butterfly punches, SU! Boho Blossoms punch, SU! Two Step Bird punch, metric Scor-Pal
Embellishments & accessories: Anita's gem wheel, 3d foam pads

Photobucket

6 comments:

Monica Gale said...

Ruth your card is beautiful, so glad it works this way to. Hugs and thank you for your sweet email. Monica xx

Sue said...

Wow Ruth this card is fantastic hope i am able to make it myself thanks for sharing it Luv Sue x

Pauline said...

Stunning card! I have seen these card in my local craft shop on their demo wall, always intrigued me but never got round to making one! Now I've seen yours I may have to give it a go! I love the big sentiment and the fancy frame, and love the inside and envelope too.

GIBMISS said...

hI RUTH
sTUNNING CARD ...LOVE IT ...SOME FAB CARDS ON YOUR BLOG
hUGS
SYLVIE
XX

Rusticdiva said...

Hi Ruth what a lovely card..it is just one of those projects that you feel you have to try...thank you so much for sharing.

Nedlnut said...

Just found your blog - LOVE your work. This is a beautiful. I'm going to try it tonight!
Pam (nedlnut)

01 09 10