Wednesday 9 January 2019

Butterflies Shadow Box Frame

Stampin' Up!'s Sale-A-Bration is under way now where you can choose from a range of free goodies with purchases of £45 and £90.  There are some fabulous free goodies available in this year's offering!  The 'Botanical Butterfly' DSP is just beautiful and a bonus is that you can cut some butterflies out from the paper with the SU! 'Butterfly Duet' punch.  My friend Bev recently celebrated a birthday and as part of the gift for her I made a home decor piece - a decorated shadow box frame - using the patterned paper and the punch.

I used a piece of botanical foliage paper as a backdrop, punched out lots of butterflies and then chose the nine I wanted to use for the project.  I punched out nine plain black CS butterflies and glued the patterned butterflies on top - making sure to apply glue only to the body.  I have non SU! butterfly die sets in my stash that have antennae dies and I thought adding an antenna was the perfect detail!  Once I'd assembled the butterflies I adhered the bodies in place with Mini Dimensionals.  I then cut full size Dimensionals in half and attached a half behind each wing, leaving the backing paper on which keeps the wings popped up.  

Another Sale-A-Bration offering is a set of wooden shapes called 'Butterfly Elements'.  I chose a butterfly and coloured it by pressing each side down onto my Lemon Lime Twist ink pad a few times.  Once the wooden butterfly was dry I tied it around the box frame with a length of Old Olive linen thread.  Hmmm, I couldn't decide if I really liked that or not but I left it on as Bev can easily remove it if she decides she doesn't like it!


Here's a closer look at the pretty butterflies.  I really enjoyed making this project, it certainly banished the post Christmas blues!


Supplies:
Stamps: none
CS: SU! Basic Black

Patterned paper: SU! 'Botanical Butterfly' DSP pack
Ink: SU! Lemon Lime Twist
Tools: SU! 'Butterfly Duet' punch, Memory Box ??? butterfly die set
Embellishments & accessories: wooden butterfly shape from SU! 'Butterfly Elements' pack, Old Olive linen thread, Dimensionals, Wilko 8" x 8" white box photo frame

Ruth

No comments:

01 09 10