Wednesday 22 May 2019

Wonderful Friend Dragonfly Closure Card

How on earth I missed the dragonfly closure card from last year I do NOT know!  But better late than never, I've now seen Rachel Tessman's wonderful blog post and video and I couldn't wait to make my own dragonfly closure card!

I needed to make a card for our wonderful friend Mike - we didn't get to see him on his birthday so I've made a friendship card for him.  I've used Mint Macaron and Tranquil Tide as my colour combo and the patterned paper is from the SU! 'Tranquil Textures' DSP pack.  I made a matching envelope to go with the card too.



After adhering the patterned paper strip to the front of the A6 sized card base I cut out a slot using the label die from the SU! 'Petals & More' Thinlits die set - it's the perfect size for the dragonfly!  I added mat layers of Tranquil Tide CS and 'Tranquil Textures' patterned paper inside the card.  I die cut the detailed dragonfly from Tranquil Tide CS, die cut a solid dragonfly from vellum CS, trimmed out just the wings, added shimmer to the wings using a clear Wink of Stella pen and I glued the vellum wings behind the Tranquil Tide dragonfly.  I added narrow Tranquil Tide CS strips on both sides of the patterned paper strip, stamped and die cut the sentiment label and popped that up over a mat of Tranquil Tide CS.  I applied glue to the dragonfly body only, glued it in place and then added two small silver nailheads to the sentiment label.


As the recipient opens the card the dragonfly wings disappear through the slot.


Here's a view of the inside of the card.  Usually you write on the right hand side panel but I added a sentiment mat layer to the left hand side.


Here's a closer look at the dragonfly panel.  I think the patterned paper looks like water which is very suitable for a dragonfly!


Here's a closer look at the inside sentiment panel - I really love the clean look of that sentiment font! 


Finally, here's the envelope I made using the envelope punch board.  I stamped tone on tone dragonflies on a piece of Mint Macaron CS, made a flagged banner and glued that to the envelope.  I stamped a dragonfly on a piece of Whisper White CS, cut it out with the Everyday Label punch and popped that up.  To finish I added two silver nailheads to the label.


I really enjoyed making this card and I understand you can make the same design of card using a butterfly or heart, for example.  I've made a butterfly version for our next card group meeting.

Supplies:
Stamps: SU! 'Dragonfly Dreams' set, inside sentiment from SU! 'Lots of Happy' card kit
CS: SU! Mint Macaron, Tranquil Tide & Whisper White

Patterned paper: SU! 'Tranquil Textures' DSP
Ink: SU! Mint Macaron & Tranquil Tide
Tools: SU! 'Detailed Dragonfly'  & 'Petals & More' Thinlits die sets, envelope punch board, 'Everyday Label' & 'Banner Triple' punches
Embellishments & accessories: SU!  Dimensionals, silver nailheads

Ruth

No comments:

01 09 10