Thursday 8 March 2012

Snowman In Snow Globe Merry Christmas Card - 52CCT Sketch Challenge #3

It's sketch week at the 52 {Christmas}Card Throwdown challenge blog and I have to say this layout had me stumped for a bit!  I had to ponder this one for a while.


Once I'd decided to use different coloured gingham ribbons for my 3 strips it all came together after that.  My card is an A6 size with the fold at the top made with SU! Tempting Turquoise CS.  I stamped the snow globe on watercolour paper, coloured with inks and a waterbrush and added some Stickles to the snow mound.  I stamped one of my favourite 'Merry Christmas' sentiments, I just love that retro font.

I came across this blog post recently showing a technique for applying glitter to dry embossed pieces using a brayer.  I squirted some Star Dust Stickles onto my non stick craft mat and rolled my brayer over it, making sure I got an even coverage on the roller.  The writer of the blog post said to use a piece of card for this but squirting and brayering using my craft mat worked perfectly for me!  I then lightly rolled the brayer over the embossed piece and the raised snowflakes got glittered - quick and simple, love it!  I then popped next door to the bathroom to wash off my brayer roller and craft mat.  After my sparkly snowflake panel had dried, I popped the snow globe up to finish off the card front.



I cut a white panel for inside the card and stamped a sentiment and snowflake border. The envelope flap got a large stamped snowflake  Another card to pop in the Christmas card box - so far, so good at keeping on with making a weekly Christmas card!


Supplies:
Stamps: Hero Arts 'Snow Globe' cling stamp, SU! 'Four the Holidays' set, Penny Black 'A Merry Christmas', My Cute Stamps 'Let it Snow!' clear set
CS: SU! Tempting Turquoise, Real Red & Whisper White, watercolour paper
Ink: SU! Basic Black, Tempting Turquoise, Real Red, Baja Breeze, Chocolate Chip & Pumpkin Pie
Tools: Cuttlebug Snowflakes embossing folder, brayer, waterbrush, Stamp-a-ma-jig
Embellishments & accessories: non stick craft mat, Star Dust Stickles, red, turquoise, and black gingham ribbons, 3d foam tape



Photobucket

3 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Ruth this is spectacular - your glitter technique sounds so interesting and one I will be trying soon. Thanks for joining in with us again this week at 52CCT - Jacqueline xx

Margaret said...

I have to agree that the stripes threw me as well! Love how you used the ribbon to create them and your glittery snowflakes and snow globe are so pretty too!

Mynn xx said...

This is just FABULOUS, Ruth!!! LOVE the bright and cheery colors--and that technique is awesome! :) Thanks for joining us this week at MMM! :)

01 09 10