Wednesday 16 May 2012

Stained Glass Flower Spray Best Wishes Card

I recently saw this lovely card Diane Vander Galien  made with the Bordering on Romance set using the Stained Glass technique.  The technique means you stamp and heat emboss on vellum and colour the image from the back of the vellum. There is a tutorial here on Splitcoast Stampers.  I hadn't tried that before so I was eager to give it a try.  I've used white embossing like Diane did but I'd love to try with black embossing.  I prefer to emboss with black powder rather than to stamp with black ink and emboss with clear powder but I can't find my black embossing powder anywhere.  I now have some on order so I'll be trying it soon!

The card measures 13 cms square (just a tad over 5") and I've used a fave colour combo of mine - Old Olive, Rose Red and Pretty in Pink.  I used ink and a blender pen to colour the image from the back of the vellum.  I cut two squares with a Nestie die, the vellum piece plus a piece of Whisper White CS.  I attached the vellum to the Whisper White square with mini silver brads.  Having the white square underneath the vellum really makes the coloured image pop.  I've used 3d foam tape to pop up the white layer.  I used my new scalloped Edgelits die - it's lovely!  The ribbon is some Pretty in Pink striped grosgrain I've had for a while.  I stamped and heat embossed the frame and sentiment and added some jewels to the Old Olive scallops to finish off the front.



More stamping for the inside and the envelope.  I stamped in Old Oive ink and used ink and a blender pen to colour the flowers.  The Bordering on Romance set is just SO pretty, I love it!


Supplies:
Stamps: SU! Bordering on Romance set, Hero Arts Luscious Frames clear set
CS: SU! Old Olive, Rose Red, Pretty in Pink & Whisper White, SU! White CS vellum
Ink: SU! Pretty in Pink, Regal Rose, Rose Red & Old Olive, VersaMark, blender pen
Tools: Square Nestabilities dies, SU! scalloped Edgelits die, circle punches

Embellishments & accessories: white embossing powder, SU! Pretty in Pink striped grosgrain ribbon, rhinestone jewels, mini silver brads, 3d foam tape


Photobucket

4 comments:

Jacqueline said...

This is a lovely technique and your card is beautiful.
Ruth I have sent you an e-mail regarding the 52CCT blog - Jacqueline xx

kelly said...

oooohhh, what a great technique!!! I need to give this a try, never ever realised you could heat emboss onto vellum!
Such a pretty card Ruth!
Kelly xx

Migdalia said...

Oh!My!Fabulous card!ever tried to play with vellum or embossing with heat.A lil scared...but you made it so beautiful,that it makes me want to try it out!TFS

Margaret said...

Beautiful! I've never seen this with white embossing! A softer look and wonderful with this image!

01 09 10