Sunday 13 May 2012

Two Cupcake Birthday Cards

I'm really chuffed to be carrying on as a member of the Simply Stampin' challenge blog design team.  To apply we had to make a project inspired by this photograph.  I chose to make birthday cards using shades of pink, turquoise and chocolate brown.  I knew straight away that I wanted to use the Crazy for Cupcakes set but I couldn't decide whether to use the single cupcake or the stand of cupcakes so that's why I ended up making two cards!


  I first made a tent topper card.  I cut Tempting Turquoise CS measuring 7 1/2" x 4 1/4" and scored at 3 3/4".  I layered 2 Top Note die shapes cut from Pretty in Pink CS and Flirtatious patterned paper.  I stamped the cupcake stand on watercolour paper, coloured with inks and a water brush and sponged the edges.  I'd stamped and coloured the cupcakes separately, I cut them out, added some glitter to the icing and Crystal Effects to the cherries and popped them up.  I inked the 'happy birthday dear you!' stamp from the Happiest Birthday Wishes set with a marker and omitted the 'dear you!' so that I could punch out just the 'happy birthday' with the Word Window punch.  I matted the sentiment onto a Modern Label shape and added jewels.  Some patterned paper, a scalloped strip and some ribbon finished off the card front.


Here's a close up of the cupcakes.


Here's the inside and the envelope.  I've performed surgery on the 'it's your birthday' cake stamp from the Happiest Birthday Wishes set, I've removed the tag shape outline so it's now perfect to punch out with a circle punch.  I know I'll use the stamp more this way!


My second card is an A6 sized Z fold card and the image panel tucks behind the sentiment circle.  I stamped on watercolour paper, coloured with inks and a water brush and I've popped up the icing and candle. I added glitter to the candle flame and Crystal Effects to the chocolate sprinkles.  Very pretty Flirtatious paper was glued to the back panel.  I inked the sentiment stamp with a marker so I could separate it into 2 elements.  The scalloped circle is popped up so the cupcake panel tucks behind the circle.


Here's the inside and the envelope.  I love that you can split that birthday sentiment and get 2 different punched shapes!  I stamped the balloon on the envelope flap and coloured with ink and a water brush to finish off.  Very happy cards to make - and I'm very happy I made the design team again!





Supplies for tent topper card:
Stamps: SU! Crazy for Cupcakes & Happiest Birthday Wishes sets

CS: SU! Tempting Turquoise, Pretty in Pink, Pink Pirouette & Chocolate Chip CS, watercolour paper
Patterned paper: SU! Flirtatious DSP
Ink: Black StazOn, SU! Pretty in Pink, Regal Rose, Tempting Turquoise & Chocolate Chip
Tools: SU! Top Note die, Scallop Edge Border, Word Window, Modern Label, Large Oval, Scallop Oval, 1 3/8" Circle & 1 3/4" Scallop Circle punches, water brush
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Tempting Turquoise grosgrain ribbon, Dazzling Diamonds, Crystal Effects, rhinestone jewels & Dimensionals



Supplies for Z fold card:
Stamps: SU! Crazy for Cupcakes & Happiest Birthday Wishes sets
CS: SU! Regal Rose, Tempting Turquoise , Chocolate Chip & Very Vanilla
Patterned paper: SU! Flirtatious DSP
Ink: Black StazOn, SU! Pretty in Pink, Regal Rose, Tempting Turquoise, Daffodil Delight & Chocolate Chip
Tools:
1 3/8" Circle & 1 3/4" Scallop Circle, Large Oval & Scallop Oval punches, water brush
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Tempting Turquoise grosgrain ribbon, Dazzling Diamonds, Crystal Effects, Dimensionals



Photobucket

3 comments:

kelly said...

I'd forgotten about the DT call cards!!! Looking at these beauties it's no wonder we HAD to choose you!!!
Kelly xx

Amanda Burditt said...

Yay! Can't wait to see more of your fab creations! These are lovely! The pink and blue is a fresh and popping combo! :) That reminds me I should post my DT entry... xx

Margaret said...

These are wonderful and a great use of the inspiration photo! I always love seeing your creations on SSC!

01 09 10