Thursday 1 August 2013

August 2013 Card Group Projects

It was our August card group meeting today - it was a lovely afternoon, a good time was had by all,  but phew, it was very warm!

This first card came about due to the summery weather and the recent discovery of a bee's nest in our garden which made me think of the SU! Sweet Summer set.  I haven't used it in a long time so I thought it was time to ink it up again.  I've used Naturals White CS for the card base and the stamped images.  I tore Pear Pizzazz CS for grass, added some Marina Mist CS underneath, coloured the images with artists coloured pencils and cut the flower heads out with a 1" circle punch.  I added some shimmer to the bee's wings and flower centres with a silver Gelly Roll pen.  I took a black marker pen and drew around the panel to add some definition and I popped up the flower heads.


I added a flower inside.


A masculine card is next using the SU! Wetlands set.  I made a Crumb Cake card base and stamped the goose, wheat and some grass in Crumb Cake ink for a subtle tone on tone look.  Hmmm, maybe a bit too subtle - I re-inked my Crumb Cake pad after making this card!  For the sandpipers image I took a clear acrylic block, scribbled Pool Party and Crumb Cake markers over the block, spritzed it with water and pressed the block to a piece of CS to get the background.  I stamped the sandpipers over the top, trimmed the panel to size and mounted it onto the Early Espresso die cut label shape.  I embossed a strip of Pool Party CS with the Woodgrain folder and brayered Crumb Cake ink over the top.  I adhered the strip to the card, stamped the sentiment and popped up the label.


I cut a Very Vanilla panel for inside, stamped a sentiment and couldn't resist adding more of those sweet sandpipers - I just find them so appealing!


Card three uses a mix of stamps from the Summer Silhouettes set plus a flower from the Flower Shop set.  I based the design on this fab card made by Nikki Spencer that I saw on Pinterest, I loved it and had to make my own version!  The card base is made with Bermuda Bay CS and the mat layer is Elegant Eggplant.  I stamped the leaves in Pool Party ink and the border in Bermuda Bay ink.  I stamped three flowers using Wisteria Wonder, Elegant Eggplant and Bermuda Bay inks and then I stamped another flower in the set in the same three colours and cut the centres out with a 1/2" circle punch.  The flowers are easily cut out with the Pansy punch.  The Wisteria Wonder flower is glued flat but I popped the other flowers up and added jewels to the centres.   Before I glued the white panel to the mat layer I rounded two corners just for a little interest.


I also stamped and punched on a white panel for inside the card!


Supplies for card one:
Stamps: SU! 'Sweet Summer' & 'Swirls & Curls Verses' sets 

CS: SU! Naturals White, Pear Pizzazz & Marina Mist
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, SU! Basic Black marker
Tools: SU! 1" circle punch
Embellishments & accessories: artist's coloured pencils, silver Gelly Roll pen, Dimensionals


Supplies for card two:
Stamps: SU! 'Wetlands' & 'Blooming with Kindness' sets, grass from Hobby Art 'Anna's Collection - Just for You' clear set
CS: SU! Crumb Cake, Pool Party, Early Espresso & Very Vanilla
Ink: SU! Crumb Cake, Pool Party & Early Espresso
Tools: SU! Woodgrain embossing folder, SU! Apothecary Accents label die, brayer, Stamp-a-ma-jig
Embellishments & accessories: acrylic block, water spritzer bottle, gold nailheads, 3D foam tape


Supplies for card three:
Stamps: SU! 'Summer Silhouettes', 'Flower Shop' & 'Simply Sketched' sets
CS: SU! Bermuda Bay, Elegant Eggplant & Whisper White
Ink: SU! Bermuda Bay, Elegant Eggplant, Pool Party & Wisteria Wonder
Tools: SU! Pansy & 1/2" circle punches, X Cut corner rounder punch, Stamp-a-ma-jig
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Rhinestone Jewels, Dimensionals


 photo DragonflyRuth.gif 



5 comments:

Mynn xx said...

These are lovely! I really like the bird card--I always think of buying these sets and don't because I don't know what I'd do with them! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Skye said...

Lovely cards. I like your flower card. Neat idea using the punched circle. The birds make a great male card.

Nikki Spencer said...

Awe..Thanks Ruth and Thank you so much for the shout out. So glad l could inspire..:0) Love your version and all of your cards are lovely, no doubt your card group had fun with that lot. xx

Pia S said...

Your flower card with cute bees is so nice - I like how you did the flowers mounted on circles! And your masculine design is fabulous! A lovely stamp set, and I like how you added a bit of color to the card with the embossed panel.

kelly said...

what a fab trio of cards, love the simplicity of the first cards look although I'm sure it wasn't simple to make, you know how much I love a bit of tearing!
Also that stamp in the second card is GORGEOUS!!! I'd definitely be getting it if I was still crafting!
Love Kelly xx

01 09 10