Wednesday 16 February 2022

Butterflies Hello Teepee Card

Kelly Acheson shared a teepee card fun fold card on this video and I've not made one before so I was keen to give it a go.  I tweaked the measurements slightly - I cut three squares of Basic White CS at 4 1/8" square and cut two pieces of patterned paper at 3 7/8" square.  The small triangular pieces I left the same, cutting two 1 1/2" squares.

 I've used the SU! 'Butterflies and Flowers' Layering Decorative Masks to create the butterfly.  I was really intrigued by these when I saw them in the January to June Mini Catalogue and had to get them.  Dena Rekow from the Creativity Cave has this wonderful video showing how she used some of the flower masks.  I tried those first and found the flowers easier to work with than the butterfly - only because I made it hard for myself by making the butterfly body a different colour to the wings!  Honestly, that's too much of a faff and I won't be doing that again!

Here's the card and envelope together.


Here's the card.  A teepee card is easy to put together, it's a case of scoring the three white squares in half diagonally, gluing those pieces together to form the card base and decorating with patterned paper squares you've cut in half diagonally.  Once I'd done that I started on the butterfly.  

Using Post It notes I masked off the wings on the background mask and applied Soft Suede ink to the body and antennae.  It did take me a few attempts to mask off thoroughly and not get brown ink where I didn't want it!  As I said, I won't be doing that again!  Then I masked that part off and applied Mint Macaron ink to the wings.  I placed the detail mask over the top and applied Bermuda Bay and Misty Moonlight inks.  I fussy cut the butterfly and applied Wink of Stella to the wings.  I glued the left wing in place and popped up the sentiment strip.  I added some Brushed Brass Butterflies as a finishing touch.


Here's  another view of the card on display.  My card is held in place with two small magnets but Kelly used small velcro dots.  I have a few slim, small magnets left but I'm going to see if I can find some slim velcro dots.  I have some velcro circle dots but they're too big and bulky.


Here's the card laid flat.  I covered both of my magnets with a patterned paper punched circle.  You'll see the second magnet on the next photo.


Here's the card laid flat flipped over.  I applied some pretty pink watercolour wash paper inside and that's where I'll write my message. 


The teepee card folds flat to go inside an envelope.  You have to be very careful positioning any elements, you don't want elements hanging off the edge as you want the card to fit inside an envelope.  I kept checking against the envelope before committing to gluing down the butterfly!


Here's the envelope with some pretty butterflies paper covering the flap.



Supplies:
Stamps: SU! 'Blossoms in Bloom' set
CS: SU! Thick Basic White
Patterned paper: SU! 'Butterfly Bijou' 6" x 6" DSP, MFT 'Watercolor Wash' 6" x 6" paper
Ink: SU! Bermuda Bay, Magenta Madness, Mint Macaron, Misty Moonlight & Soft Suede 
Tools: SU! 'Butterflies & Flowers' Layering Decorative Masks, 'Messages' die, paper trimmer with scoring blade, blending brushes, circle punch
Embellishments & Accessories: SU! Brushed Brass Butterflies, clear Wink of Stella pen, Dimensionals

Ruth

No comments:

01 09 10