Tuesday 10 May 2011

Fun Flower Happy Birthday Card

My friend Jan and I have swapped dies for a few days.  I have her Fun Flowers die and she has my Beautiful Butterflies die.  I really like the card on page 6 of the UK mini catalogue so I CASEd that design.  I love how the flower and sentiment banner hang off the edges of the card.  My card was made with textured Mellow Moss CS.  I'm ashamed to say how long I've had my pack of 12" x 12" textured Soft Subtles CS - and how little of it I've used!  I made it A6 size but trimmed the width of the card to 3 7/8".   Because the two elements hang off the card edges I needed to use a 6" square envelope for this card.

I used a new Hero Arts clear set for the sentiments.  It's called 'Yummy Treats' and has some really nice sentiments which are perfect for birthday cards.  I also like the fact that the font matches another Hero Arts clear set I have!  After adding the torn patterned paper panel I stamped the 'Happy Birthday' sentiment and rounded the corners.  I die cut two large and two smaller flowers from some old - but very pretty - double sided patterned paper.  I added a bit of shaping to each flower and the layers are separated by 3d glue dots so my big bloom has quite a bit of dimension.  I added a button centre with 1/8" Early Espresso taffeta ribbon threaded through the buttonholes.  I then made the sentiment banner and highlighted the word 'fabulous'.  I stamped once in Espresso ink, again in Mellow Moss ink and I cut the Moss 'fabulous' out and I've popped it up.  I tucked die cut Early Espresso leaf sprays behind the big bloom to finish the front.

I love the Little Leaves Sizzlits die, it has such a nice shape.  I've actually had my die for a couple of years as I bought one from the USA.  I recently found out that there is an old SU! stamp set called Best Blossoms that has a stamp with that exact same leaf spray shape.  Of course, I then just had to track down a set on eBay and the set arrived today - yay!  The set is from 2006 and is on pale blue rubber so it must have been a hostess set.  I look forward to getting inky with it very soon!


As I have two sentiments on the front of the card I haven't used one inside.  I've just decorated with a strip of the patterned paper and oval die cut shapes.  I also put a strip of paper on the envelope and then added Mellow Moss stripes to both edges of the paper using a Mellow Moss marker pen.  This card will definitely be one that is hand delivered!


Supplies:
Stamps: Hero Arts 'Yummy Treats' clear set
CS: SU! textured Mellow Moss CS, SU! Early Espresso & Whisper White CS
Patterned paper: Chatterbox 'Cottage Lilacs' double sided paper
Ink: SU! Early Espresso & Mellow Moss
Tools: SU! Fun Flowers Bigz L Die, SU!Little Leaves Sizzlits die, Nellie Multiframe Oval dies, Crop-A-Dile Corner Chomper
Embellishments & accessories: SU! 1/8" Early Espresso taffeta ribbon, American Crafts green button, 3d glue dots


Photobucket

1 comment:

Crafty Cat said...

Just lovely and fresh!Great birthday card Ruth!
x

01 09 10