Wednesday 9 September 2009

Reflected Winter Trees

I saw this mirror image (also called reflection) technique shown on a video tutorial at Dawn's Stamping Thoughts blog. Please click here if you would like to view the video - the page will open in a new window. I loved the card Dawn made and really wanted to try it out myself. I don't have the SU! Lovely As A Tree set but I'm thinking about getting it, but I don't like all the stamps in the set. I think I would end up using just the winter trees stamp and I'm reluctant to buy a set just for the one stamp! Anyway, my friend Jan recently bought the set and she asked me to trim the stamps for her. As my reward for trimming the rubber, I got to play with the stamps!

I made two cards, one plain and one with a Christmas sentiment. Both cards measure 5 3/4" square. Hmmm, what are those unfamiliar metal thingies on the plain card? Oh yes, eyelets! I have a drawer full of eyelets and haven't used any in ages - but I recently got a Crop-A-Dile so I just had to try it out. Oh my giddy aunt, I'm kicking myself at not getting a CAD sooner - it's brilliant!

I stamped the trees at the top of the CS first and then stamped the image again in black StazOn ink on a piece of acetate. Then I flipped over the acetate, positioned it under the first stamped image and ran my brayer across to transfer the ink to make the reflection. I then used 2 punched circles as masks for the moons and sponged blue inks for the sky and green inks for the ground. I'm very happy with how this technique turned out and I think they make great masculine cards.



I reversed the colours on this card and added a Christmas sentiment.




Supplies:
Stamps: SU! Lovely As A Tree set, Christmas sentiment from SU! Best Yet set
CS: SU! Whisper White, Not Quite Navy and Always Artichoke
Ink: Black StazOn, SU! Bashful Blue, Bordering Blue, Not Quite Navy, Mellow Moss and Always Artichoke
Tools: Crop-A-Dile, SU! plain and scalloped oval punches, circle punch
Embellishments & accessories: Silver eyelets, acetate, post-it notes for moon masks, sponges


Photobucket

2 comments:

Michelle Short said...

Hi Ruth, so sorry for lack of commenting recently. I hope you are well? These cards are stunning, i love that image and how you have achieved the colouring xx

Carole N. said...

I love your cards. They are beautiful and I love the way it looks like a reflection. So pretty.
Thanks for sharing how you achieved this look.
Hugs!

01 09 10