Tuesday 28 August 2018

Sparkly Village Merry Christmas Card - RRCB#94

Woohoo, my flip-flops card was chosen as the Top Pick for challenge #92 over at the Retro Rubber Challenge Blog and as a result I'm a guest designer for their current challenge!  I'm excited to be joining them for their Anything Goes Retro Rubber Challenge #94!


Well, I've gone from a summery flip-flops card to a wintery Christmas village card!  The PSX 'Christmas Village' stamp has been in my stash for a VERY long time - the date on the stamp is 1999 so that's pretty retro!  My friend Jan also owns this stamp and each year we both try to use the stamp to make at least one Christmas card. 

I stamped the image in Cherry Cobbler ink onto a piece of Whisper White CS and stamped the sentiment in Tranquil Tide ink.  The sentiment comes from the SU! 'Four the Holidays' set which came out in 2009.  I cut a piece of double sided adhesive sheet, adhered it to my stamped panel, removed the backing sheet and covered the panel in SU! Dazzling Diamonds sparkly glitter.  After trimming the panel to size I layered it onto mats of Mint Macaron and Tranquil Tide CS.  I made a 5 1/2" square Cherry Cobbler card base and added a strip of patterned paper from the SU! 'Delightfully Daisy' DSP pack.  No, not typical Christmas paper but I think it looks snowy so I went with it!  I die cut a strip of Cherry Cobbler 'ribbon'  using a Memory Box 'Grosgrain Ribbons' die and I popped up the main image panel.  To complete the card front I added some retro embellishments - Cherry Cobbler Candy Dots.


It's really difficult to capture sparkle in a photo but here's a closer look at the sparkly village panel.  In real life it is super sparkly!


Here's how I decorated the inside of the card and the envelope flap.  I stamped the sentiment in Tranquil Tide ink, coloured the holly leaves with Mint Macaron ink and a Blender Pen and coloured the berries with a Cherry Cobbler marker.  For the envelope flap, I stamped the village again and used a circle die to cut a portion out and then used a 2" circle punch and another die to cut out the matting circles.


Another Christmas card to go in the box - that's always a good thing!  To the team over at the Retro Rubber Challenge Blog, thanks so much for having me, I loved joining in as a guest designer!

Supplies:
Stamps: PSX 'Christmas Village' stamp, SU! 'Four the Holidays' set, Stampendous 'Merry Wishes'
CS: SU! Cherry Cobbler, Mint Macaron, Tranquil Tide & Whisper White

Patterned paper: SU! 'Delightfully Daisy' DSP pack
Ink: SU! Cherry Cobbler, Mint Macaron & Tranquil Tide
Tools: Memory Box 'Grosgrain Ribbons' die set, SU! 2" circle punch, 'Layering Circle' Framelits die set & Blender Pen
Embellishments & accessories: double sided adhesive sheet, SU! Dazzling Diamonds glitter, Candy Dots & Dimensionals

Ruth


8 comments:

Theresa's Studio said...

One of my first and favorite stamps. Great card. Love the sparkle.

beverly said...

Love your card...but you had me stumped on how you did the glittering till I read your info...CLEVER!...will be using your trick on some of my cards..Thanks for sharing your talent!

Debbie Mageed said...

Oh, this card is beautiful! I love this wonderful stamp and certainly see why you and your friend use it every year. I would love to see the sparkle up close because I am sure it looks fantastic. Thank you so much for being our Guest Designer this challenge and hope you will be back in our gallery very soon.

LeAnne said...

This is beautiful, Ruth! What a pretty scene, made even lovelier by the sparkle! The inside and the envelope are just as pretty! So happy to have you a guest this week!

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Hello Ruth and thank you for being our Guest Designer for the RETRO RUBBER "Anything Goes" challenge.
This card is stunning, the little Christmas village is so beautiful but adding the Dazzling Diamonds to it just took it to a fabulous and sparkling level.
Beautiful colors and design.
Thank you for joining us as our Guest Designer and we hope you come and play again next time.
Hugs.

Jan Clothier said...

Ruth, it's a pleasure to have you guesting with us at Retro Rubber this week. I love your Christmas scene. What a genius idea to give it that gorgeous sparkle! The colour combination you've used is fabulous.

creative lady said...

Ruth, congrats on the guest designer for Retro Rubber for this challenge. Love the techniques you did on your card and your Christmas card is lovely. Thanks again for support Retro Rubber and please keep coming back.

Claire Grantham said...

Hey Ruth, So glad to have you as Guest Designer this time. LOVE this card, I can only imagine how sparkly it is IRL. I love that you try and use this older stamp every year. I have one set like that too. Hope to see you in the Retro Rubber gallery again soon. Claire DT

01 09 10