Thursday 15 September 2011

More Snow Globe Cards

I've been playing with Lesley's snow globe stamp again.  The other day when I was looking at the stamp wondering what to do with it the idea of a Christmas pudding came to mind.  I stamped the globe on Close to Cocoa CS, cut off a piece from the bottom, added currants by filling in the dots with a black marker and then sponged with Chocolate Chip ink.  I stamped the bottom part of the base of the snow globe onto Baja Breeze CS, cut it out, sponged with Baja Breeze ink and glued that to the pudding as a dish.  I then punched and snipped some holly, added some veining detail with an embossing stylus, popped up the leaves and added deep red nailheads as berries.  The pudding is popped up on the Crumb Cake layer.

I knew I wanted to use the 'Merry Christmas' stamp from my clear Stampendous set which has a gorgeous retro font.  I LOVE this font muchly!  The stamp has a line of text ('and best wishes for the coming year')underneath in a small plain font but I masked that off before inking.  I think adding the Wonky Rectangle die cut mats has added to the retro feel of the card as well.  I embossed a piece of Core'dinations red CS with the Sizzix 'Sugar' embossing folder and then scuffed the embossing with fine sandpaper.  This particular paper doesn't have a pale core, the core is still a deep red so the scuffing has only produced a subtle effect.


The Stampendous clear set I've used has some lovely sentiments but also includes some very pretty holly images.  I've used a couple for inside the card and another for the envelope flap. I've used markers to colour in the leaves and berries.


For the next card, I'm using the stamp as a snow globe again.   I was going through my Christmas stamps looking for images that would fit inside the globe and I came across this sweet Elzybells penguin stamp.  I stamped him on Whisper White CS and added a bit of colour with SU! inks and a blender pen.  I cut him out and glued him flat to the globe. I've added crystal glitter flakes to the snow globe again and also stamped a wooden base for the snow globe and that's popped up.  I cut a small piece of double sided sticky sheet, peeled off the backing, stuck it to a piece of SU! Basic Gray CS and punched the star.  I peeled off the other backing layer from the star and added Dazzling Diamonds glitter.  That penguin needs something to look at!  I used a clear Sakura Stardust pen to add shimmer to the snow dots inside the globe.

Having finished the snow globe element it was time to make the card and I decided to make a kick stand card which is sort of a reversed tent topper card.  The fold is at the top and the open card rests on the snow globe.  I used Baja Breeze CS to make the A6 sized card and I chopped 1 5/8" off the bottom and added a Basic Gray strip.  I'm really not a lover of grey on cards but I'd coloured the penguin image in first and then wanted to match that and I thought black might be too much.  So I tried the Basic Gray CS and was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it paired with Baja Breeze!  I cut a square of Baja Breeze CS and embossed it with a snow flurry embossing folder after first inking the folder with Baja Breeze ink.  I sponged the edges and added clear gems to the snowflake centres.  I stamped the sentiment in Baja Breeze and Basic Gray inks and then cut the sentiment apart and cut out the Baja Breeze 'joy', 'hope' and 'wonder' words separately and glued them over the top.  All 3 sentiment pieces are popped up.


Inside the card, I stamped a snowflake border at the bottom and added a grey strip.  I stamped a sentiment, added stamped snowflakes and used square Nestie dies to mat and layer.  I also stamped the snowflake border on the envelope front and added a grey CS strip.  I hope Lesley likes what I've done with her snow globe stamp and I have a sneaking suspicion I may be asking to borrow it in the future!


Supplies for pudding Merry Christmas card:
Stamps: Personal Impressions 'Snow Globe', Stampendous 'Christmas Wishes' clear set
CS: SU! Crumb Cake, Riding Hood Red, Basic Black, Baja Breeze, Always Artichoke & Close to Cocoa, Core'dinations Fired Brick CS
Ink: SU! Baja Breeze, Chocolate Chip, Old Olive & Riding Hood Red, Memento Tuxedo Black
Tools: Wonky Rectangle Nestabilities dies, Sizziz 'Sugar' embossing folder, Martha Stewart Holly Branch punch, sponge daubers, embossing stylus
Embellishments & accessories: deep red self adhesive nailheads, 3d foam tape


Supplies for penguin snow globe kick stand card:
Stamps: Personal Impressions 'Snow Globe', penguin from Elzybells, sentiments from Penny Black, snowflakes from Butterfly Kisses 'Snowy Christmas' clear set, Hero Arts Designer Woodgrain DesignBlock stamp
CS: SU! Baja Breeze, Basic Gray, Creamy Caramel & Whisper White
Ink: SU! Baja Breeze, Basic Gray, Pumpkin Pie, Early Espresso & Bashful Blue, blender pen
Tools: snow flurry embossing folder from Cuttlebug 'Winter Wonderland' set, brayer, Woodware star punch, square Nestabilities dies
Embellishments & accessories: Woodware double sided sticky sheet, Cosmic Shimmer Iced Crystal Glitter Jewels, SU! Dazzling Diamonds, clear gems, Sakura Clear Stardust pen, 3d foam tape

Photobucket

No comments:

01 09 10