Thursday 24 December 2020

Two Gilded Faux Silk Background Snowflake Cards

The faux silk technique involves gluing crumpled tissue paper over the top of a piece of CS.  Often the tissue paper is glued over the top of a stamped image.  The technique is also great to create a textured background.  The gilded faux silk technique is where you highlight the textured tissue paper with embossing powder.  I saw a video a few months back and made a mental note to try it out.  

Here's one card with an envelope.


Here's the Highland Heather card.  To create the backgrounds I cut pieces of tissue paper and gently crumpled them into a ball, unfolding and recrumpling the pieces a few times.  The more crumpled the tissue paper is the more texture it has but tissue paper is delicate so gently is the way to go.  I glued the tissue paper pieces to panels of Whisper White CS and applied Balmy Blue, Highland Heather and Misty Moonlight inks to the panels using oval blending brushes.  Next I wiped my VersaMark ink pad all over the panels and sprinkled on silver embossing powder.  The powder should cover the wrinkles but the powder usually covers quite a bit of the surface area.  As I didn't want total coverage I wiped off some of the powder with a finger before I heat set with my heat tool.  



Here's a closer look at the background panel.


Here's the Misty Moonlight card.


Here are both cards.  The cards measure 5 3/4" square and I added a strip of CS that I'd embossed with the 'Winter Snow' embossing folder to the right side of the card.  I die cut three snowflake shapes from the SU! 'Snowfall' die set and assembled my main snowflake images - the smaller snowflake shapes are popped up.  I glued the background panels in place, popped up the snowflakes and popped up the stamped and die cut sentiment banners.  I added iridescent blue gems as a finishing touch to the card fronts.  


Here's the inside of the Highland Heather card.  I added three silver glimmer paper die cut snowflakes to play up the 'sparkle' sentiment.


Here's the inside of the Misty Moonlight card.



I used some gorgeous Misty Moonlight snowflake patterned paper to decorate the envelope flaps.



Supplies:
Stamps: SU! 'Snowflake Wishes' set
CS: SU! Highland Heather, Misty Moonlight & Whisper White, Silver Glimmer Paper
Patterned paper: SU! 'Snowflake Splendor' DSP
Ink: SU! Balmy Blue, Highland Heather & Misty Moonlight, VersaMark 
Tools: SU! 'Snowfall' die set, SU! 'Winter Snow' embossing folder, Claina Palmer 'A6 Double Stitched Nested Dies' set, MFT 'Fishtail Flags' Stax die set, oval blending brushes
Embellishments & Accessories: SU! silver embossing powder, self adhesive blue gems, Dimensionals 

Ruth

No comments:

01 09 10